Classes We Offer
Loving Arms Childbirth Classes (and Refresher Classes)
Childbirth Preparation Series
Our 8-week class series cover all topics pertaining to childbirth education, including:
- Introduction to Labor and Birth
- Stages of Labor
- Support and Comfort for Labor
- Challenges & Interventions
- Cesarean Birth and Communication Tools
- Bonding & Breast/Chestfeeding
- The Fourth Trimester: Realities of the postpartum period and newborn behavior
What sets us apart from other classes is our focus on labor support techniques. In each class, you’ll practice breathing, sounding, positions, massage and counter-pressure techniques, relaxation, visualization, verbal support, use of rebozos, acupressure, and more. We devote ample time to preparing you for a positive birth experience, whether you plan to deliver in a hospital, birth center, or at home.
Our classes emphasize the value of a birth team, the role of the doula, and how family members can participate. You’ll learn how to choose medication wisely when appropriate and understand the wide range of options and interventions available to birthing people. Plus, each class of eight or fewer couples fosters a supportive community that lasts beyond the end of the course.
With 20 hours of class time, a robust online ‘student area’ with class resources and a reunion with all the babies after they arrive, we offer a comprehensive and personalized learning experience. Our instructors, who are doulas, midwives, and educators, use an eclectic approach that draws from various methods like Bradley, Birthing from Within, and Lamaze. We have seen what really works for laboring people, having attended many births ourselves, so over the years we have used and discarded various approaches and continue to evolve as we go.
Join us at the comfortable living-room style setting at East Bay Lactation Associates in Emeryville. Our classes are personal, intimate, and conducive to open learning and growth. We’re committed to providing each parent with individual attention and continued support as they need it. We do not offer make-ups other than for the breastfeeding class.
Refresher Childbirth Class
4-hour interactive workshop with a natural, holistic approach. The workshop emphasizes labor support techniques and tools for the birthing person and birth team.
- ‘De-briefing’ the first labor/birth
- Goals for the second (or third) birth
- Overview of birth process the 2nd/3rd time
- Breath work/sounding/staying in the moment
- Massage, visualizations, rebozos, positions, & more
- How pushing is different the second time
- Role of support team
- Wise use of medications
- Plans for older children during and after birth
- Practice Practice Practice!
- VBAC guidelines and information
Planned Cesarean Class
This workshop is for families anticipating a planned cesarean birth. Explore your feelings and learn how a cesarean birth can be a joyful birth experience! If you have discovered that your baby is breech or there are placenta problems or other reasons necessitating an unexpected cesarean delivery please call us even at the last minute so we can help you prepare.
- Your concerns and fears
- Suggestions for transitioning into baby’s birth
- Protocols and procedures
- Options such as the parents viewing the baby as she/he is born, skin to skin contact and breast/chestfeeding in the OR
- Contributions of a birth team or doula
- Ways to make the experience as fulfilling and comfortable as possible
- Plans for breast/chestfeeding and postpartum recovery
- Simple stress reduction techniques for surgery preparation and for parenting
VBAC (Vaginal Birth After Cesarean) Workshop
Our VBAC workshop is for pregnant couples who have had a cesarean birth and are considering a vaginal birth for the next baby. Explore your options in a safe, non-judgmental atmosphere with childbirth educators/doulas who are experienced at working with all kinds of birth experiences.
- Risks of both Cesarean and VBAC to birthing person and to baby
- Advantages of vaginal birth to birthing person and baby
- Feelings about both repeat cesarean and trial of labor
- Emotional hurdles
- Ways for birth team to provide positive reinforcement and support
Workshop includes a refresher childbirth prep class. We will learn and practice coping techniques for labor, discuss how to build your support system and develop strategies to maximize the chances of having a vaginal birth. Be empowered with education, practice and support!
Classes Offered By East Bay Lactation Associates For Professionals
For Doulas, Midwives and other interested Health Care Professionals
This workshop is for doulas and midwives who already understand the basics of supporting parents and babies, and are looking to deepen their understanding of the dynamics of breast/chestfeeding.
Topics include understanding newborn reflexes and their role in breast/chestfeeding, postural support, reading infant body language during breast/chestfeeding, building a robust milk supply, achieving comfortable latch, normal breast/chestfeeding rhythms, assessing how feeding is going, helping partners help, and knowing when to refer to a Lactation Consultant.
Offered semi-annually, please contact us for more dates and times.
If you would like to sign up please visit East Bay Lactation Associates. Or, if you prefer, you may call us directly at (510) 525-1155.